Monday, February 25, 2013

Upside of Culture Stress: Part One

I once heard that Culture Stress is like death by a thousand cuts. I'm here to tell you that, that is so incredibly true. It's not any one thing that does you in, it's a thousand little things. Like there isn't a Walmart, I have to speak an unfamiliar language, the food isn't quite my thing, I can't drive, I miss my parents, and so many other things.


Fried Rice
I keep reminding myself that God is more than enough for me, and when I feel like I can't run on my own strength, I'm reminded I'm supposed to run on His. He specifically said MORE. So I will hold on to that "more" part when I feel like I can't eat another spoonful of rice, or nobody understands why I'm crying about chipped nail polish. (Seriously, I cried over chipped nail polish. Culture Stress makes you emotional, people.) Sometimes holding onto the hope of Jesus is all you can do, and then remember it's all you need. Thank you, Lord, that you listen to my whines and cries even when it's about toe nail polish and you love me every second of it.


After crying about the toe polish thing, my sweet
Sister-in-Law gave me some of hers :)
But one of the two upsides of Culture Stress is that it totally makes you fall in love with Jesus more and more. He continually shows me He's right there with me. He continually gives me His strength. When I'm sick and tired of walking everywhere, he meets me on my long walks and lets me see beautiful sights and things. When I really don't want to go serve somewhere, he tells me to get up, get over myself, and do what I came here to do and rewards me for my obedience. He's so good. Even when I cry and tell Him I want to go home, He always encourages me and uplifts me. He understands me better than I understand myself. It's amazing how he transformed my life and I can't help but praise and thank him for every minute he gives me. Yeah, he's basically just really good.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you put some of your feelings down into words, Meg! I love you and I am for you! You are stellar.

    ReplyDelete